Friday, February 29, 2008

Just Like The Shaman Said

Things suddenly became complicated. The pace of NYC had surpassed my marriage. Trips without each other, nights when he didn't come home, I became enamored with a beautiful stranger. Everything was off.

Now, there was actually a lot that went into this, and it's not the time or place to talk about the extremely private details of my marriage, but we decided to leave New York. Head back to the Midwest, closer to families and try to "really act married." That's when I should've known. Key word, "act."

I secured a wonderful job, but my husband didn't seem as enthusiastic about the pending move, despite the fact that he pushed for it first.

The result= I moved a mere six days before my sixth anniversary in New York, without my husband.

As I left my beloved city behind, streaming New York, New York through my iPod, I was completely aware that I had just left days before the Shaman's warning.

Arriving in Chicago, I was lonely, bored, and desperately missing all things New York. Curiously, not my husband. He was "trying" to get a job, but wouldn't move here until he had one. I bounced around in housing, making plans for his big move. Hoping, really tricking myself into believing, he would come, and we would build a wonderful life.

I bought a house for us (some people have babies to fix things, others buy homes. Neither is a good idea!).

He arrived. But after only 5 days, I received this text message: "At airport. Can't handle. Heading to Ireland for a week."

When he did return, we never really connected again. He didn't show up for our move in day, and I never felt so disappointed in my life.

After a couple of months at weak attempts to make things work, it just came down to the fact that he wanted to be back in New York, and my energy for our relationship was gone.

On a planned trip to South Africa with my best friend, I told her that I was leaving my husband. I spent the rest of my time in Africa enjoying the moment, knowing (actually, I had no idea what I was about to go through) that soon enough, an end to our relationship was happening. I was going to be a divorcee before 30.

Just like the Shaman said.

No comments: